LEVEL 5 CERTIFICATE IN TEACHING ENGLISH AS FOREIGN LANGUAGE WITH PRACTICE (CERTTEFL) (THE TEFL ACADEMY)
The Qualification has been created to contribute to the professionalism of the global TEFL industry. The programme is designed to develop the academic and professional skills and qualities needed to begin a career as an EFL teacher.
The Level 5 programme will require learners to gain a sufficient understanding of language systems and commonly used teaching approaches to embark on a career in TEFL. The qualification will enable learners to become independent, novice teachers with the tools to plan appropriate lessons and courses for their students without support if necessary. The optional (unaccredited) short follow on courses allow our learners to select a teaching specialisation if they wish to.
- Teaching Practice and Classroom Skills
- Developing Receptive and Productive Language skills
- Methodologies for Teaching a New Language
- Awareness of Learners
- Language Awareness
- Designing Learning Materials
- Introduce students to and range of practical teaching techniques and procedures and the principles of lesson planning for foreign language lessons.
- Give students an understanding of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills. To learn and master basic procedures and techniques used to enhance these skills in foreign language teaching.
- Introduce students to and provide practice in techniques and procedures for teaching new grammar, vocabulary and functional language.
- Raise awareness of the need to take account of individual learner and whole class needs, aptitudes, motivations, and cultural factors when teaching and planning lessons and courses. To introduce approaches to teaching various ESP classes in addition to General English.
- Give students a sufficient understanding of English pronunciation vocabulary and grammar for teaching purposes. To equip learners to analyse language independently.
- Familiarise students with sources of potential teaching materials, and how these can best be adapted and exploited in the classroom.
- This qualification has been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression. There are no entrance requirements.
- In the case of applicants whose first language is not English, then CEFR C1 (CAE grade C min), IELTS 7.0, GESE 10, TOEFL 95 or equivalent is required.
- A basic awareness of structural aspects of the English language is also required and this ca be demonstrated through pre-interview task and interview.