What are Phonics?
Phonics is a method for teaching reading and writing of the English language by developing learners’ ability to hear, identify, and manipulate phonemes in order to teach the correspondence between these sounds and the spelling patterns that represent them.
Phonics is a multi-sensory, synthetic phonics programme. With Phonics, children are taught the English alphabetic code in a simple, but structured way. Phonics was developed by teachers who wanted an effective method of teaching that was also active, interesting and suitable for young children.
Synthetic phonics is a method of teaching children to read and write. The children are taught how the English alphabetic code works before they are expected to do the harder tasks of reading books and writing independently. Synthetic Phonics does not start with whole printed words. It starts with single letters and the sounds that the letters represent.
Why Learning Phonics is Important?
- The goal of phonics is to enable beginning readers to decode new written words by sounding them out, or, in phonics terms, blending the sound-spelling patterns.
- By learning phonics kids become able to read the unfamiliar word by themselves.
- It will improve the blending skills to write new words and build sentences.
- It will improve the fluency in reading and writing.
- Learning phonics is like learn with fun for children which will enhance their future development in reading and writing skills.
Phonics Workshop teaches five basic skills, each of which has its own section.
The five basic skills are:
- Learning the Letter Sounds (it’s about different sounds in English not necessarily alphabets)
- Learning Letter Formation
- Blending (this is required for reading)
- Identifying the Sounds in Words (this is reqired for writing)
- Tricky Words
Although the teaching has been separated into these 5 basic skills, what we need to know is the first four skill are taught simultaneously right from the very beginning. Let’s say we teaching sound /s/ so we will start with sound, letter formation, learning how to blend and identification of this sound in spoken words.
Who can Avail This Workshop?
Existing Teachers, Mothers and Aspiring Teachers.
Workshop Duration: 10 Hours
The course is taught through a range of fun, multi-sensory activities by our highly experienced teachers, it includes:
- Learning 42 letter sounds
- Learning letter formation
- Identifying sounds in words
- Identifying tricky words
- Initial consonant blends
- Final consonant blends
- Language rules
- Alternative blends
- Segmenting and Decoding
- Diagraphs and Diphthongs
- Language Rules
- Making of Lesson Plans
- Techniques for class control and creating literacy awareness in children
This course is taught through a range of fun and multisensory activities that facilitates reading and writing skills in children . The impact of this course will help unlock every teacher and parents potential to achieve greater success in teaching language to young learners.